Centennial Moments

Researched & Written by David Goeke


THE BEGINNINGS OF THE TEXAS DISTRICT

The state of Texas is a big state!! From the early days of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod in Texas, the state had been incorporated into what was known as the "Southern District". The Southern District consisted of states from the Carolinas in the east to El Paso, Texas, in the west. It soon became apparent that Texas comprised a lot of that territory and needed to be considered as a district in and of itself from both a ministerial perspective and an administrative perspective.

So, in the year 1903, at the Southern District Convention in New Orleans, Rev. J. H. Sieck and Rev. W.H. Bewie presented an overture, outlining the reasons for a division. As there were not enough Texas delegates who could make the long journey to this convention so as to speak to the matter, the overture was deferred. The authors were asked to publish the overture in the "Lutherische Blaetter", the District newspaper, so that it could be read and considered at the next convention.

So it was, that at convention of the Southern District of 1904, held in Serbin, Texas, the matter was once again presented and it was decided to permit the state of Texas to become a district in and of itself. Two years later, on February 14, 1906, the organizational meeting of the newly formed Texas District was held at Trinity Lutheran , Houston, Texas. Elected to office were: Rev. A.W. Kramer, president; Rev. C.A. Waech, first vice-president, Rev. F. Wunderlich,, second vice-president; Rev. H. Studtman, secretary; and Mr. H.W. Lottmann, treasurer. Thus began the Texas District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, today one of the largest districts in the entire synod.